XENON is pleased to announce our partnership with VAST Data, bringing their revolutionary approach to all-flash storage to Australia and New Zealand. XENON has sold the first VAST universal storage system into Australia which will be installed in the next month. Watch this space for updates on that install.
But why VAST Data? Aren’t there enough data storage providers in the market?
Three Ways VAST is Different
We are excited to bring VAST to Australia, because they have developed a truly revolutionary storage solution with three new technologies:
- NVMe-over-Fabrics (NVMe-oF): this enables commodity data centre architectures to transform into scalable storage fabrics that bring the performance of NVMe DAS with the efficiency of shared storage infrastructures.
- QLC Flash: the newest generation of flash enables the NVMe performance, at a much much lower cost point than traditional flash.
- 3D XPoint Shared Persistent Memory: this new non-volatile memory storage media from Intel is positioned between flash and DRAM. This technology is the enabling factor that makes it possible to field QLC in enterprise environments.
The result is a highly redundant, highly scalable, and extremely fast storage architecture where you can have all your data easily available in a single global namespace.
Enterprise Features, Ease of Use Built into the Architecture
Modern storage architectures have become increasingly complicated to manage as vendors look to balance capacity . Tiering, data lifecycle management, multiple storage types – this all creates complexity and issues in managing growth. When we speak to customers, the result is storage that is not optimised for current workloads, a lack of transparency in real data requirements, and often slower storage I/O that impacts application performance.
VAST tackles these challenges head-on, through their Disaggregated, Shared Everything (DASE) approach. The VAST architecture allows you to independently scale performance and capacity, while segmenting server pools by application provisioning extra resources for demanding applications or teams. Pools can also be scaled up and down dynamically, as required within the docker based containerised architecture – making your infrastructure as agile as your business.
Interesting consequence of the VAST technology stack is that no batteries are required, no UPS is needed, with the 100% non-volatile memory in the VAST clusters, you never need to worry about power outages effecting your storage. The stateless nature of the VAST servers eliminates rebuilds when server nodes fail, and failover is instantaneous.
In the VAST DASE architecture, you have the simplicity of NAS, the speed of all-flash SAN, and the data protection of object storage and erasure coding. All in a simple easy to manage interface across a global namespace.
VAST can be deployed as:
- Complete hardware appliance – servers, switches and storage enclosures.
- Hardware appliance and container software – bring your own fabric and servers, and deploy VAST storage nodes (available for systems of 10PB+).
- Software only – have XENON build your system on bespoke hardware to meet your specific requirements (available for systems of 100PB+).
Available exclusively in Australia and New Zealand from XENON.Talk to a Solutions Architect